Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I've got a crush...

on Sam the Cooking Guy. I'm so in love with the cookbook that my dad got for my sister and I. It is fun to read, easy to make, easy to find ingredients and the food is GREAT!! My bff Karen has already ordered herself a copy after me raving and her taking a quick browse through mine. I didn't get a picture of the soup but you can imagine it was a whitish soup with lots of yummy looking things on top!

Potato Soup

2 big baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 cups chicken broth
2 red onions, diced small
2 T. butter
1 tsp cayenne, to taste
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
3 T finely chopped fresh italian parsley
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Put the potatoes and broth in a large pot over medium-high heat, cover, bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes get soft, about 15 minutes. While that's happening, in a separate nonstick pan, cook the onions in the butter with the cayenne, stirring, until softened, about 10 minutes. Then add the cooked onion, the whipping cream, and parsley to the soup. While the soup simmers, mash some of the potatoes in the pot with the back of a large spoon. This will help the soup thicken. season well with the salt and pepper.

At this point the soup is done and ready to serve, but wait - don't stop there. You serve it in bowls, buffet style with a selection of the following toppings:
- crispy bacon pieces
-croutons
-crispy thin store-bought Asian noodles
-shredded cheese
-any hot sauce you want
-diced leftover chicken, turkey , shrimp etc
-anything else you can think of


So, I didn't have red onions (I only had one white), didn't have whipping cream (I used milk) and didn't have the parsley. Sam is all about substituting if you need to and I had to, but it was still so good. (I also only used half the cayenne since the kids were eating it too). We topped it with green onions, sour cream, bacon and cheese.

Oh, also, I'm hoping I'm not breaking any copywrite laws! You all better run out and buy this book...you won't be sorry I promise!

No comments: