Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mmm, meatballs


So I'm baking these as we speak and then I'm going to freeze them for use at a later date. I'm all about taking a day to cook hamburger and freeze it in 1/2 lb. ziplocs to make easy tacos and spaghetti sauce, etc...it's a real time saver on the weekdays when I'm about ready to check out and the kids are alittle, how shall I say, CRAZY!!! Well, I was cooking up the hamburger that I stocked up on (super sale) and Patrick asked if I was going to make meatballs ever again. Well, guess what my sweet? Mama made them - let's just see if I can get them past you and into the freezer! My fab sis also makes the recipe into a KILLER meatloaf, and I mean killer because I don't normally like meatloaf, but this one is as good as my Dad's (that's saying alot). She also has made these meatballs for numerous baby showers, and they are usually one of the first things gone.

Cocktail Meatballs:
1 lb sausage (I used italian today, just because I had it but any kind will do)
2 lbs. lean hamburger
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1/2 c. catsup
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 eggs
1 c. bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
1 c. evaporated milk

Sauce:
1 - 14 oz bottle catsup
1/2 bottle chili sauce
3 T. prepared mustard
1 1/2 t. dry mustard
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 T pepper
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/2 bottle A1 sauce
2 T worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1 T salad oil
dash of Tabasco

Mix meatball ingredients in large bowl. Shape into 1 inch meatballs (I used my small cookie scoop) Place on cookie sheet and bake at 40o for 15 minutes. (These can be made and frozen ahead of time) To serve: Make sauce in crockpot and bring to boil. Add meatballs and heat through or let simmer until you want to serve them. Make about 80 meatballs.

My comments: I actually baked them for 25 minutes - we like them alittle more browned because we don't normally eat them with the cocktail sauce. Also, remember to make it easy on yourself and bake them on a sheet covered in FOIL!!! I use the meatballs in spaghetti sauce, Craig loves them in cream of mushroom soup served over rice or mashed potatoes and sometimes we just eat them as they are.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cheats and mass-cooks hamburger to put in the freezer. Everytime I pop a bag in the microwave for 3 minutes, I can't help but wonder...why on earth would anyone break out the frying pan for each and every meal?????