Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Chicken Curry Soup


Okay so I took a f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s picture of the soup to temp you to make it and now for some unknown reason my computer is not recognizing (i think i spelt that wrong!) my stinkin' camera. Love computers!! I can't say that your kids are gonna love it but you can dazzle your friends with this soup!

PS-I gotta give a shout out to my dad. He has a curry soup that could kill. Mine never is quite as good, but it inspired this one since I never have any shrimp and some of his other ingredients!!

Chicken Curry Soup

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
1 white onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 T. fresh ginger (I cheat and used the jarred one from the produce dept)
1 1/2 T. fresh garlic
1/4 t. red curry paste (you can use more but I made it pretty mild today - I've gone up to 1 T)
4 c. chicken broth
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 can coconut milk
1 t. lemon grass (I found this in the produce refrigerated section in a toothpaste type tube..I can't tell you how exciting it was because you can NEVER find lemon grass!!!!)

In a big pot add alittle olive oil and heat add the chicken. Start cutting your onion and add to it, then do the same with your red pepper. Let them saute for a bit and then add the ginger and garlic, cook for about 1 minute. Add the broth, curry paste and soy sauce. Cook for about 30 minutes and then turn off heat. Add the coconut milk and the lemon grass. You can garnish with green onion, cilantro or limes but the soup is good without them too.

1 comment:

Louise said...

I'll have to look for the lemongrass in a tube. I see lemon grass and actually bought some once, but it's pretty intimidating looking and I never actually used it. I guess I just never used it for the recipe I had in mind until it was looking a little past it's prime... Thanks for the tip.