Monday, March 3, 2008

Chili Soup


Okay, so I'm finally getting another post on....had a few computer issues but my fabulous husband fixed it. Hooray!! So I made this soup last night and it does double duty. It fed us last night and then switched it up and we ate it again tonight. I made up the recipe last night and I wrote it all down just for my blog. I don't normally do that but I'm thinking how great it's going to be as I never can make it exactly the same twice and I drive my friend Karen nuts by telling her to just add a few spoons of this and that until it tastes right. So, this is for you K!



Carey's Chili Soup
2 lb. boneless lean pork roast
water
2-3 T. dried onion
3 T. dehydrated garlic
2 T. chicken boullion
1 onion (cut in half)
S & P

8 c. chicken broth (I cheated and used water and 4 T. boullion!)
1 diced onion
2 T. cumin
2 t. oregano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 can green chilis
1 - 20 oz can hominy (if you can't find hominy use canned white beans)
frozen corn
garnishes - lime, cilantro, avacodo, tortillas if you like.....it was Sunday and didn't have any of these

Put roast in the crockpot with water coming half way up and add the ingredients that are in the first group. I set it on high for 2 hours and then low for 4 (you pretty much just need some cooked meat - leftovers would do too). I took the cooked pork out and shredded it. Put aside at least half for dinner tomorrow (BBQ pork sandwiches). Save the liquid and strain it so you can add it to the soup.

Add a little olive oil (oops forgot that in the ingredient list) to a stock pot and heat. Add the spices and onion and cook until you smell the cumin. Dump in the water, boullion, liquid from the crockpot and hominy. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer uncovered until the onions are soft (about 15 minutes). Turn off the heat and add the shredded pork and canned chilis. Stir and serve. I added the frozen corn to their dished up bowls so it would cool it down for the kids.
Yummy!

For dinner tonight I bought some yummy buns from Safeway and dumped our favorite BBQ sauce in a dutch oven with the pork and there you go. Add some veggies and dip and your done!




1 comment:

Jordana said...

Carey, your blog is amazing!!!
I am sooo making your recipes!