Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rice Bowls


This is one of my FAVORITE meals. It is my fave for two or maybe three reasons...

1.It is so good

2. It is so easy

3. the kids eat their veggies and don't complain about what is for dinner

I think one of the reasons why it is so good for the kids is that it gives them the feeling that they are controlling what they are eating for dinner.


Rice Bowls with Garlic Sauce

rice (I cook 1 1/2 c. and it feeds my family of 5 with a lunch for dad the next day)
veggies - steamed broccoli, cooked carrots, peas, red pepper, beans, peas, mushrooms, green onions......pretty much what ever you have on hand (I usually cook about 2 c. of each veggie)
chicken, steak or pork - what ever you like

Garlic Sauce
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. each chicken broth and soy sauce
1 t. red chili flakes
1 T. dehydrated garlic (this is made by Litehouse and is in the produce dept)
Bring to a simmer and then add
4 t. cornstarch that has been dissolved in
1/4 c. water

To do the veggies I just slice each kind up and then cook in the microwave in a covered dish with some water covering the bottom of the container for anywhere between 2 - 4 minutes depending on the veggie. Carrots talk the longest - normally about 4 1/2 minutes and while I'm cooking one veggie I'm slicing the next one to cook. (you can do this earlier in the day while the kids are at school and then just reheat them for dinner) I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how to cook veggies.

To cook the chicken or whatever meat I just slice it up and brown it in a non-stick frying pan(no oil or anything). When both sides are brown I add some chicken broth (maybe 1/3 c.) and then cook it down. When the broth has evaporated let the chicken brown up again (it adds tons of flavor)

To serve dish up some rice, meat and let the kids pick what veggies they want. Pile them on top and add the sauce. We love this sauce and have it with plain pork chops and chicken too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I made this last night. It turned into more of stir-fry but the sauce was DELISH!! My hubbie loved it. I loved it. Thanks for sharing!!